Amazon for cord cutters

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Wha......? Oregon spin on a new road tax

So..... Oregon is about to embark on a first-in-the-nation program that aims to charge car owners not for the fuel they use, but for the miles they drive.
Here is the link to the article from ABC News.

Ok, I get it, we drive more efficient cars (I have a Mini Cooper) so not stopping at the gas station and filling up as much as we used to. Therefore, the state get less road repair monies from the gas tax. I GET IT!
But, what is their solution?

Monitor our driving habits and destinations? Starting July 1, up to 5,000 volunteers in Oregon can sign up to drive with devices that collect data on how much they have driven and where. The volunteers will agree to pay 1.5 cents for each mile traveled on public roads within Oregon, instead of the tax now added when filling up at the pump.

What???? No way! The government has no business sticking their noses into where I drive my car, when, where or why! So, here is my thought, flawed I am sure but maybe an idea worth exploring.

Granted, the state needs more money for road repairs. Yes, its evident in the road conditions we drive on. What if they went by odometer readings? I would say yearly on our state tax form. And to keep people honest, have the readings done yearly at DMV? Maybe in the month of your car's registration tag so they arent be hammered in April. Seems there is just no end to the "nanny" state that Oregon seems so determined to cram down our throats.

2 comments:

  1. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. melange grey

    ReplyDelete